1) “And thus we can behold how false, and also the unsteadiness of the hearts of the children of men; yea, we can see that the Lord in his great infinite goodness doth bless and prosper those who put their trust in him.
2) Yea, and we may see at the very time when he doth prosper his people, yea, in the increase of their fields, their flocks and their herds, and in gold, and in silver, and in all manner of precious things of every kind and art; sparing their lives, and delivering them out of the hands of their enemies; softening the hearts of their enemies that they should not declare wars against them; yea, and in fine, doing all things for the welfare and happiness of his people; yea, then is the time that they do harden their hearts, and do forget the Lord their God, and do trample under their feet the Holy One—yea, and this because of their ease, and their exceedingly great prosperity.
3) And thus we see that except the Lord doth chasten his people with many afflictions, yea, except he doth visit them with death and with terror, and with famine and with all manner of pestilence, they will not remember him.” Helaman 12:1-3
How many of us have been blessed with plenty and not recognized God’s hand in our lives of plenty? Myself I can see a repeated pattern of getting and becoming proud of what I have, in my pride committing sins that make me sorrowful which sometimes costs me my possessions along with my happiness. This is one reason I try to not value my things too greatly. Really the nick nacks, tools, clothes and etc. I collect really only need to help me to do my work each day. I have more than enough to do most jobs I do and to enjoy life also.
More importantly I am finding that I need to be ever repentant of errors and diligent in my commitment to the gospel ways. I am renewing my Sacrament Vows daily and reporting daily to Heavenly Father, both reports through prayer. I am finding more happiness and less straying away from the ways I know keep me close to the Holy Ghost. This may not include me into the group that make the Celestial Kingdom, but if I neglect these safeguards against my weaknesses, I will not be there ever and may attain damnation instead. Paraphrasing Joshua of the Old Testament, As for me and my house I chose to follow the Lord.
“23) Therefore, blessed are they who will repent and hearken unto the voice of the Lord their God; for these are they that shall be saved.
24) And may God grant, in his great fulness, that men might be brought unto repentance and good works, that they might be restored unto grace for grace, according to their works.
25) And I would that all men might be saved. But we read that in the great and last day there are some who shall be cast out, yea, who shall be cast off from the presence of the Lord;
26) yea, who shall be consigned to a state of endless misery, fulfilling the words which say: They that have done good shall have everlasting life; and they that have done evil shall have everlasting damnation. And thus it is. Amen.” Helaman 12:23-26